Powered By Blogger

Friday, February 5, 2010

Obama Administration--two strikes!

My son participated in the Special Olympics last year right around the time when our illustrious leader made a slur about bowling in the Special Olympics. Can you guess my son's event? Yep. Bowling. It was supposed to be a proud moment for him to participate. He traveled to another town with his class of fourth graders to compete for a trophy and Andrew put his whole heart into trying for his top score. He had to overcome great anxiety, traveling with out his father and me, and acclimating to a strange place where he'd never been, with the lights and crowds and sounds and even changing shoes--each of these elements alone could have triggered a meltdown. And then, not winning. Not even among his group. Under normal circumstances, this should have been a nuclear emotional event. But I am sure due to prayer and great poise and effort on his part, he made it through and managed to have some fun. Until the leader of the free world denigrated the whole experience.

I heard him myself. It hurt. For a man who clearly understands how difficult it is for a minority to overcome--one who has the advantages of intellect to say this, too--felt like such a betrayal of all that is fair and just. And then, Mr. Obama apologized, and I had to accept that apology, despite the damage it caused a great deal of people, and a cause that was founded on the ideals of tolerance and nurturing and support. I took him at face value. he was sorry.

Now, hardly a year later, Rahm Emanuel has been quoted using the word "retarded"--I'm sorry--"fu__ing retarded". I'm sure there will be apologies issued again. The occasion has been decried by the ARC and other advocacy groups. And the people of this great country are a forgiving people--we will forgive again.

Let this be the last irresponsible slip up by this administration, please, against the disabled. Our children have enough struggles without having to feel abandoned and ashamed by the ones who are supposed to defend them. If there is a third occasion, I for one will consider it a third strike. In my book of fair play, they will be OUT! I can only assume that three times is intentional, and perhaps indicative of an underlying attitude toward this vulnerable population.

2 comments:

  1. to view the gutterball video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koL618vd4HU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you mentioned this. I was put out by the statements as well.
    KellyJo Griffin

    ReplyDelete