Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

He uses the weak to lead the strong

I have had pneumonia for a week, now. Maybe longer, since it was diagnosed a week ago. Aside from coughing and breathing difficulty, the most pronounced symptom is utter weakness. Weakness that makes the most basic functions gargantuan, like retrieving the mail from the mailbox or carrying a load of laundry upstairs. I thought I was going to collapse a few times,just tying my own shoes. Weakness sucks.

All of this illness makes me feel so useless. What good am I if not the cleaner, cook, caretaker, facilitator and homework taskmaster in my home? Or if I can't help out my writing critique partners or accomplish something quantitative? Weakness in our culture is generally viewed as despicable. Our heroes in fiction, movies and sports must be people in charge, movers and shakers, the mighty, the intelligent, the proud. As a culture, we place ultimate value on strength, independence and achievement.

But does God?

What does He mean when he says in I Corinthians 1:27 "But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty." Could it be that God, the most powerful force in the universe, values weakness? Could it be that when we come to the end of our own strength, that is when His grace can fill us most effectively, to make us conduits of His power?

Chris Tomlin says it this way, in his song "Your Grace is Enough"

"Great is Your love and justice God
You use the weak to lead the strong
You lead us in the song of Your salvation
And all Your people sing along

So remember Your people
Remember Your children
Remember Your promise
Oh God

Your grace is enough
Your grace is enough
Your grace is enough for me"

I have made peace with my weakness. Of course, it is easy for me, since mine is temporary. But for our children who face challenges, weaknesses, and struggles every day, coming to terms with disability is a lifelong commitment. I am thankful to have this promise form God to comfort my son with: God's grace is enough, for he is strongest when we are weakest.

Embrace your weakness today, and be a conduit of His glory!

5 comments:

  1. What a powerful message Kathy. And so eloquently said. It is in our weakness so many of realize that we are not in control and have to turn to total submission to Him. Our bodies may be weak but God looks inward to see the heart. Your son can always rest in that peace. Thank you Lord that YOU see the real person in all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! It reminds me of that old song by Natalie Grant, called The Real Me. One line says "There's no need to hide my frailty, 'cause you see the real me."
    to listen and see the words, check here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcWQIsG9Rqw

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure I have read this passage many times; but heard it for the first time today, interestingly enough through Chris Tomlin's song you referenced. It stuck with me as this is a new revelation for me. The way this works in your life is such a beautiful testimony to God's love and care for us as we rest assured in His providence. Standing with all my brethren in your Pilgrim's journey - we will get home, safely!

    ReplyDelete